Birth Story…

22 Jun

While Baby Girl is napping, I figured I’d do a quick post about our labor and delivery.

My water broke at home at 9:55 p.m. They always tell you that you will know when your water breaks. Well, I heard a sound like a balloon popping in my stomach… and then there was hardly any water. I was in my pajamas as I was about to crawl into bed, so my husband and I changed and headed off to the hospital. I had been having contractions all day, but they were anywhere from 6 to 12 minutes apart – nothing that I needed to go to the hospital for.

When we arrived at the hospital, I was taken to triage and they found out my water did in fact break and I was between 7 and 8 cm dilated. They told me that my time for an epidural was running out, so if I wanted one I had to decide quickly. I said I was going to tough it out for awhile. I got moved over to a delivery room and got assigned one of the most wonderful nurses. I signed a bunch of consent forms and I was hooked up to the fetal monitor right away. They also called my doctor and gave them a heads up as I was progressing quickly. They also gave us a warning that with our next child we need to get to the hospital even quicker as it’s normally about half the labor of the first child.

I worked through a bunch of contractions and was absolutely exhausted. I thought I’d be able to get through it, but I also told myself to not feel bad if I got the epidural so we called and they checked me again and I was at 9 cm. I had been up since 5:30 a.m. that morning. I decided to get the epidural and am glad that I did. I got about 45 minutes of not as painful contractions before it was time to push.

I have a slight curve in my back. This made it a bit more difficult for my epidural. I could either be extremely numb on the left side or the right – they were having trouble getting both. Eventually, my left side ended up being extremely numb and I still felt some pain on my right side. Even with the partial epidural though, it did help with the pain. I had been up for getting close to 24 hours and I was exhausted.  Even though I still felt the pressure, the pain being gone helped me relax some.

They got permission from my doctor to push before she got there. We were then asked by our nurse as to who had curly blonde hair – which my husband did and mine was blonde. They could already see the top of her head! After only about 20 minutes of pushing, we had our Baby Girl! My doctor arrived right towards the start of the intense pushes. She was born at 2:12 a.m. and the majority of my water came out after her – apparently she was riding her first water ride! (It explains why there wasn’t really any water before her.)

The rest of the birth process was pretty easy as I was watching this wonderful squirmy screaming little girl that was placed immediately on me. She started out a blue color as her systems kicked in and they told us it was a wonderful sign that she was screaming – it clears out her lungs and airways. I watched her turn into the beautiful baby color as she continued to scream. We tried talking to her a bunch, but she just screamed and that was okay.

My husband cut the cord and then I got the pleasure of plenty of stitches as she came out so quickly. We got a bit of extra time in the delivery room as they were stitching me up (which I still ended up getting extra numbing shots for – later my doctor said she was so grateful I had the epidural as it really helps for everything after if you need stitches).

Eventually she got her first bath and they weighed her. She was 7 lbs, 8 oz and 20 inches. She was perfect! We also breast fed right away within the first hour and I will say that the hospital I delivered in is amazing for breastfeeding. They have lactation nurses for you to call for over 12 hours each day. Any time I had issues while they were there, I just called one and they gave me different techniques, tricks, and helped Baby L and I figure it out. It was really amazing how wonderful they were and got us off to a great start. (Breastfeeding is a great weight loss tool. I’m already only 15 lbs away from my pre pregnancy weight after gaining about 40 lbs due to water weight at the end of my pregnancy.)

We were moved over to the post delivery room into a regular hospital room about 3 hours later. My husband curled up and took a nap, while the nurses helped me to the bathroom and got me food. I had dinner the night before and considering my labor was only 4 hours, I wasn’t too hungry but they brought me a turkey sandwich, cookies, juice, and water to get some energy back up. While Baby Girl and my husband slept, I just watched her sleep and squirm.

Eventually, I’d learn to sleep with her in the room, but the new mom in me was just worrying at every little movement and squirm and sound. She’s definitely a squirmy worm.

She’s now been with us just about two weeks and I can’t believe how amazing she is! It’s like she’s always been here. I’m going to love these next few weeks bonding with her and enjoying every second!

Baby Girl

Baby Girl

2 Responses to “Birth Story…”

  1. Hope at Disneyland June 23, 2015 at 8:21 pm #

    I’ve heard some horrific birth stories so I’m relieved that yours wasn’t one of them! 4 hours is not bad and it’s so amazing how baby L was just so ready to meet you that she didn’t keep you there for very long. How weird that you didn’t get the big gush of water that you see in movies and how fast you were dilated. Did you think of Rachel from Friends at all and her experience versus yours? lol Anyway, L is precious and I’m so happy for you two and look forward to the daily updates and happy pictures! 🙂

    • faithtrustnpixiedust July 1, 2015 at 1:44 pm #

      Thank you! I’m so thrilled she was so quick! Haha. And yes I did think of friends. Childbirth is nothing like you see on TV or in movies. 🙂 We can’t wait for you to meet her someday!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: